CinemaCon – News from the show
As you know we at POS Rumor spent the week at CinemaCon. CinemaCon is the movie industry’s top convention. It’s a joint effort of NATO (National Association of Theatre Owners) and the ITCA (International Cinema Technology Association.) But is mostly sponsored by companies like Coca-Cola and Fandango.
CinemaCon allows theater owners to meet with the vendors who sell to their industry. Think technology companies who make projectors and stuff. And think movie studios who want your theater to buy certain movies to show in your area.
And for us, the show is about networking, and meeting people in the industry, to learn all the best stuff. What’s new, and what’s happening.
Leon Newnham, Vista Entertainment Solutions
One of the bigger pieces of news at the show, is that Leon Newham is the new CEO of the Vista Entertainment Solutions. The Vista Group is a vast company that owns several entities, all in the cinema landscape. Some of their entities are:
- Vista Cinema – The leader in POS Software for movie theaters.
- Veezi – A cloud based POS platform for small or independent movie theaters.
- Movio – Cloud Based big data tech company.
- Maccs – Film distribution software for film studios
- Cinema Intelligence – Collection of business intelligence aimed at cinema distributors
- POWSTER – Creative services for the film and music industries to help engage users.
- Numero – Provides an aggregated box office reporting platform.
- Flicks – Online movie guide.
- Movie Team – Staff scheduling for Cinemas
- MovieXchange – Web platform to make it easy for distributors to get the most relevant movie media.
Leon Newnham, while at CinemaCon, was named the CEO of Vista Entertainment. Leon has been the CEO of Vista Cinema USA, is taking over for Kimbal Riley.
There’s speculation that Vista’s leadership will now find permenant residence in Los Angeles. But nothing has been confirmed.
But Leon is a great guy, and a savvy businessman. His leadership will be a great move on the part of the Vista Group.
Another quick Vista Cinema note. It looks like they’ve brought their point of sale hardware sales in-house. So they’re selling the hardware direct, rather than relying on a partner. One wonders if this will be a trend?
Studio Showcases/CinemaCon Awards
This is a POS Blog, so I won’t spend much time on this. But one of the biggest parts of CinemaCon, is the studio showcases. Movie studios use this time to show movie promos, and have actors plug movies that will be coming soon.
CinemaCon also gives out a number of awards. I’ll list them quick:
- JONAH HILL TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON® VANGUARD AWARD”
- JACK BLACK TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON® VISIONARY AWARD”
- RYAN COOGLER TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON® DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR AWARD”
- FELICITY JONES TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON® AWARD OF EXCELLENCE IN ACTING”
- ANNA KENDRICK TO RECEIVE “CINEMA SPOTLIGHT AWARD”
- BENICIO DEL TORO TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON® MALE STAR OF THE YEAR AWARD”
- TARON EGERTON TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON ACTION STAR OF THE YEAR”
- DAKOTA JOHNSON TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON® FEMALE STAR OF THE YEAR AWARD”
- LIL REL HOWERY TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON® BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMER OF THE YEAR AWARD”
- GABRIELLE UNION TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON® BREAKTHROUGH PRODUCER OF THE YEAR AWARD”
- SAMUEL L. JACKSON TO RECEIVE “2018 CINEMA ICON AWARD”
- ROBERT CARRADY TO RECEIVE CINEMACON 2018 CAREER ACHIEVEMENT IN EXHIBITION AWARD
- TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX INTERNATIONAL’S KURT RIEDER TO RECEIVE 2018 CINEMACON® PASSEPARTOUT AWARD
- KATE MCKINNON TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON® COMEDY STAR OF THE YEAR AWARD”
- DIRECTOR J.A. BAYONA TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON® INTERNATIONAL FILMMAKER OF THE YEAR AWARD”
- TIFFANY HADDISH TO RECEIVE “CINEMACON® FEMALE STAR OF TOMORROW AWARD”
- CINÉPOLIS’ ALEJANDRO RAMÍREZ MAGAÑA TO RECEIVE 2018 NATO MARQUEE AWARD AT CINEMACON®
There are a few other things we saw, that are likely coming to a movie theater near you.
The biggest trend we noticed, was that theaters were putting in bars. Serving alcohol in movie theaters seems to be a somewhat recent development. And theaters are kicking it up a notch to make sure they have what you want.
We’re seeing many theater groups adding video games, and arcades to their theaters. Working with gaming companies like Intercard, and Embedcard, this is becoming a phenomenon.
Food and Beverage
Our favorite part about CinemaCon, is the food and beverage portion. This year, we drank Jack & Coke slushies, coffee slushies, and Sangria slushies! Slushie technology has come a long way.
We also sampled Cheetos, and Flamin’ Hot Cheetos popcorn. Which was tasty but left me wanting real popcorn instead.
But I still love the old holdouts. The PretzelHaus Bakery & FUNacho stand. They gave me a pretzel, and enough nacho cheeze to last a while. As well as the standard Nathan’s hot dog. Good times for sure.
Caesar’s Palace – Final Thoughts
Last thing to touch on quick, is Caesar’s Palace. I’ve been to CinemaCon before, but always stayed somewhere off the strip and took transit in every day.
Being at Caesar’s was great. I stayed in the Julius Tower, which was right next to where the conference was being held. It was a 5 minute jaunt from my room to the show floor.
Most every day I ate breakfast in the Bachannal Buffet. Each day filled with lunch meetings at one of the restaurants in the Forum Shops. Each evening was a dinner meeting at another of the hotel’s great restaurants.
I highly recommend it if you’re going to CinemaCon to stay right at Caesars. Cuts so much transit time out of your day, and if you get a break you can go upstairs and relax.
As always, we really enjoyed our time at Caesar’s Palace with the folks from CinemaCon. It was a great event, and we hope to make it to more of the regional shows this year too. Check out our other theater blogs here!